First Christian Church Torrance is proud to be affiliated with Family Promise, a national organization that started twenty-eight years ago as a local response to homelessness in one community. Family Promise is now a national volunteer organization with over 200 networks that help local communities care for the homeless in their neighborhoods. The mission of Family Promise is to help homeless and low-income families achieve sustainable independence through a community-based response.
FCC Torrance is part of Family Promise of the South Bay and along with 29 host and supporting congregations, have made it a mission to care for those in our own South Bay. These 29 congregations open their doors to provide sleeping quarters, a hot evening meal and hospitality for up to four families at time for a duration of one week. At the end of the week, the families move to a different congregation. Each congregation hosts up to four different times throughout the year.
Family Promise cannot work without a large number of volunteers. Each host week, our congregation provides around 30 volunteers to make this program run smoothly. There are many ways that you can support the mission of FCC Torrance including hosting, shopping, helping with set up or clean up, doing laundry or making a monetary donation.
Various Hosting Opportunities include:
- Dinner Preparers-
Dinner is a hot meal prepared at volunteer’s homes or in our church kitchen. It is served at about 6:30 p.m.
- Dinner and Evening Hosts-(5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.)
These volunteers may be part of the dinner preparation team or may arrive to eat with the guests. Dinner hosts socialize with the families, welcome newcomers and assist parents with children’s needs. After dinner, hosts may conduct children’s activities, help with homework or assist guests with other needs.
- Overnight Hosts-(2 volunteers, 8:30 p.m.-7:00 a.m.)
Two hosts spend the night at the church. Overnight hosts spend time with guests and are available in case of emergency.
Along with these hosting opportunities, there are also ways to help by being in a leadership position as an Assistant Coordinator. The Assistant Coordinators work together to plan how the program will operate best in our church.
- Host Coordinator-Schedules evening (5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.) and overnight (8:30 p.m.-7:00 a.m.) volunteers; works with the meal coordinator to make sure there are enough volunteers to prepare dinner and breakfast.
- Meal Coordinator-Oversees the menu planning for host week to avoid duplication and ensure that meals are well balanced. Schedules volunteers to prepare and serve dinner.
- Supply Coordinator-Keeps needed items in stock by purchasing or securing donations of food staples, paper products, toys and games, linens, cleaning supplies, and other items for host week.
- Activities Coordinator-Plans special events, arts-and-crafts activities, and games for children.
- Donations Coordinator-Collects and organizes donations of clothing, furniture, and household items; arranges distribution to guests once they are settled in permanent housing.
As our host week approaches, you can sign up to help on the Family Promise bulletin board in Sippel Hall. Trainings are available for volunteers.
See Jill Foster, Volunteer Coordinator, if you have questions or want to help.
FCC Torrance 2017-2018 Host Weeks:
December 17-24, 2017
March 18-25, 2018
October 14-21, 2018
November 18-25, 2018
Here are links for the national and south bay websites that I think we should include:
National website: http://familypromise.org
South Bay: http://www.familypromiseosb.org